Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Monday's Activity proposal...

Porter creates an agenda for Monday's Family Night Activity

Monday night at the conclusion of our Family Home Evening John made assignments for next week. He asked Porter to plan the activity (which is to follow the lesson but rarely does because we start late and the kids would rather have the treat than the activity, but that isn't the point of this post.)

Porter came to me today with a plan. He had not grasped the general idea that the family night activity is supposed to be an activity we all participate in, together, at the same time.

To his great credit, Porter had observed the favorite activities of each family member and planned for all of us to participate in those activities, on our own, at the same time.

Madi; "one square" which is a solo version of "Four Square" which Madi lives and breaths for every day of her life right now.
Mason; "Sonic Unleashed" -a new Wii game Mason purchased yesterday and has yet to play. Or Rugby.
Porter; "Pokeman Ranger" a game for our Nintendo DS that Porter has just "earned" because he did not scream, hit or run away when it was time for him to have his good eye dialated during the month of September (this is a 3 day a week occurance for Porter. One in which the eye that sees is made not to see, and Porter hates "to be blind" as he calls it).
Brynley; Read. I couldn't have chosen a more favored activity for this daughter myself. He hit the nail right on the head with her...
Dad; Basketball, or work, or Rugby. John, you are a well rounded fellow in the eyes of your adoring son. I bet Porter hoped you'd be playing the basketball with him...
Mom; do stuff on the computer. As Porter read this to me he said "because you are always sitting at the computer, so it must be your favorite thing..." mental note; stop sitting at the computer (especially while Porter is present).
Molly; Princess
Lucy; Princess. The two above activities are all about dressing up and pretending to ride in carriages and dance with princes. Again, Porter's observation on his sisters' favorite past time couldn't be more perfect.

Porter has now been given many suggestions as to what activities we might do, all together, next Monday night. He was disappointed. He felt his plan made everybody happy. And I felt I learned a LOT about the keen observations of our children as they live and learn among us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is quite funny KT. I love how he wrote everything out. And I agree. It is scary how kids are so observant. Obviously my kids think my favorite thing to do is clean. Maybe that is why they are such pigs. They think they are helping me out so that I always have my favorite thing to do(despite my constant yelling to put things away). Ahhhh!

John said...

Awesome post.

Tami said...

That is so cute. I have to admit, my kids would probably say the same thing about me and the computer. It has been one of my goals, less time on the computer, and I am doing a little better. baby steps, right?

Sharon said...

I think you should go ahead and do ALL of it... together, one at a time. : )